I will say I am tired tonight but I know that it is important to keep writing this blog during our transition to a family of four. We have come a long way in a couple of days home. I know it is not far on this life long jorney but it feels like we have overcome many challenges that have been thrown at us and we are getting better at all of this. Could we really ask for more?
So here is what are some highlights of my observations of our new family:
Yesterday I sparked the biggest meltdown yet by causualy running bath water. Isaac wanted nothing to do with it and ended up as a sobbing mess. We had a long talk about how mommies have to take care of their little boys and part of our job to keep them healthy is to bathe them. We comprimised with a washcloth bath. Then tonight when it came bath time in the routine he asked for a bath and did pretty good. I won't lie and say he liked it, but for him to suggest it was a big move.
Eating: We were told we had to restrict how much we offered him because he would apparently "george" according to his former family. After visiting with the International adopton dr. today she said, let him george as long as it is health food. So tonight he had a peice of toast to calm him while I made dinner, he ate one big bowl of salmon, rice and brocoli and a half of another bowl. When I asked him if he wanted more, he said "no, I want to play now."
Medicine: We will have him off all medicine in three weeks. This is very good stuff.
Sleeping: We still have a way to go, but this is to be expected. Nightime is a scary time for kids like Isaac. He goes to bed great but wakes in the night. Last night he slept on my chest in the rocking chair so sweetly. I think we both needed that time, even though I am dragging today from being up a few hours.
Personal Time: John and I are learning, but getting better. I will say it is easier because I am not back at work yet, and John has not really let his clients know he is home yet.
Brothers: Thanks to Mimi they both have their very own remote control cars and they played so well with them tonight. I feel like they made a lot of progress in enjoying playing with each other today.
Today John and I also got our first and maybe our only big stretch of time with just Isaac. We took him to his big evaluation at the international adoption clinic and Emerson stayed with my mom. It was a nice change to just get to focus on him.
Sure, we still have many boundries to set, and lots more trust to gain, but I at least felt like we were moving in the right direction.
smiling for you :-)
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you Karon... your post put a BIG smile on my face. Your honesty is so refreshing, it is truly like a breath of fresh air. Your children will gain so much from your honesty and insight on how they are feeling and how it is not just brushed under the rug.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing great, keep writing and plugging away... each day will get easer and easer ( of course thrown in with a few really tough ones) after all they would not be children if they did not throw a curve ball at us once and awhile. lol
Thinking of you daily and sending positive vibes your way.
xxoo
Carolyn
Tremendous progress in such a short time. Great job mama.
ReplyDeleteWow - even baby steps in the right direction in only a few days is huge. Good job!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear that you are making progress in such a short time - and perhaps more importantly - that you feel as if you are making progress!
ReplyDeleteWay to go!
Isn't it awesome to see the progress no matter how small?! I love reading about it & you should feel great at the job you & John are doing. Very cool. With Jabari we had to & still have to look at how he was a year ago to a month ago on some areas. Sometimes we go back 2 years. ;) It's way better now then where it was then, slowly but surely progress is being made. It's so worth it to see them flourish & overcome the difficult areas & things they struggle with, keep up the great work!
ReplyDeleteHaving 2 boys close to the same age is a blessing and struggle all at the same time. We have started only buying 2 of the same toys so they don't fight and making sure each has scheduled alone time each day with Mom and Dad each (15 min or so). That has helped a lot. Good luck and still so happy for you. Jacqueline
ReplyDelete