Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bureaucracy and Purgatory

Our social worker said it best when she told our agency, Asking Karon and John to hang out at a hotel in suburbia is like dropping most people off in the wilderness. None the less we are managing but enough is enough already.

So what is the hold up you might ask? I too would like to know. Here is what I understand of this whole mess. When you adopt a child in the US from a state other than your own you are subject to a law called ICPC. It was written back in the 60's to prevent one state from dumping its foster kids one a less restrictive state. Unfortunately the folks who wrote the law didn't recognize that private adoptions are completely different. Anyway: the law states that we can not leave Isaac's state until our agencies state (Oregon) and the receiving state (Alabama) agree that we are an acceptable family and that all laws in both states have been followed.

What is happening is that the person who needed to give our agency the information on what they needed to give Alabama was not in until Friday of last week. Then on Friday at the end of the day they asked for 6 pieced of documentation. On Monday Alabama received all of that documentation. Then they decided they wanted about 10 more pieces of information which they received today. Then at the end of the day they wanted one more piece. Wouldn't one think that they have a list but no, this is Alabama we are talking about.

Today I did talk to Senator French's office again and they did put me in touch with the people who work with DHR and the ICPC office. I was assured they would be looking into our case and that I would receive a call back before the end of the day. But guess what, they never called. So tomorrow I will be calling again and hopefully progress will be made.

I am sure all of my loyal readers are disappointed in this post. It is the not so sexy part about adoption: paperwork, laws, clearances, bureaucracy and purgatory. What amazes me is that somehow bad people manage to make it through this process. What infuriates me is that those people make it that much harder for families to come together through adoption.

I will hopefuly get a moment to post some about our family and post pictures in the morning. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Crossing our fingers and toes for you, maybe that will work?! :)Gena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and hoping all the paper work comes through today for you. I can only imagine how tough it is hanging out in a hotel room with 2 three year olds ( I know I have a 3 year old... and it is not easy). I know you will come through this with grace because you an amazing women Karon!

    Enjoy your day.I look forward to your next post of pictures. Many thanks again for opening your heart so honestly to all of us readers you are one in a million!

    ((hugs))
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Are you going through TOL again? I thought maybe because you mentioned Oregon. Praying this will all come to an end soon. You and John stuck in suburbia is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete