Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sad news for Kaz Families

I try very hard to recognize that even our darkest moments are for a reason. I truly believe that where one door closes a window opens. In light of that, recent events in Kazakhstan, I find deplorable and tragic.

In one region in Southern Kazakhstan nine families were denied their petition to adopt. Today (or last night for us) four of them had their appeals heard. All 4 were told "No." They were told "No" because the courts felt that the baby house did not show the children to enough Kazakh families first. Mind you there is not a number of families but a time limit, and there is currently no established procedure for how to document this.

My heart is sick for families who have been there, bonding with their children for 6-8 months. My heart aches for the kids who are caught in this mess. There is not another family waiting for them as far as I know. It is likely that agencies will stop working there and that these kids will remain trapped under political ideology. Please know that this is not just a Kazakhstan issue. We have the same thing here in the US. It can take years of a kid being tossed around in the foster system to become available for adoption. Even then we mess the process up regularly.

Come on world. There are over 125 million orphans in the world! This is one way that as of civilization of human beings we have failed. It is completely unacceptable to me that more and more barriers are being put in place. What happens to those left behind is unimaginable to most of us. It is not pleasant to think of the prostitution, child labor, suicide rates, imprisonment...

How do we explain to these kids who are dumped on the streets at 16 that there were people who wanted them, who prayed for them, who made rooms for them, sewed quilts, who dreamed of their future? How do we say, "sorry" your government failed you.

It is an outrage of unspeakable proportion. It makes me think of the quote that brings me to tears to my eyes ever time I look at the Two Hearts for Hope web site... "Sometimes I would like to ask God why he allows poverty, famine, and injustice when he can do something about it, but I am afraid he might ask me the same thing."

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about what happened ever since I heard about this yesterday. I'm so sad for the families of course, and even sadder for the kids. I hope they are all babies, too young to understand what "Mama" and "Papa" mean and too young to have any memory of the people who used to come visit them everyday and then suddenly stopped coming.

    I'm also worried because we're still trying to get back there again. Can I ask where you heard this? I'm trying to tap into as may sources of information as I can.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, here is the blog: http://bjadoption.wordpress.com/
    Too, Too sad

    ReplyDelete