What an afternoon it has been. My heart has lept, I have hugged, I have kissed, I have cuddled, I have cried, I have feed, bathed read to and attempted to explain why my new little boy can't go back home tonight. How does one explain to a three year old that your adopted family couldn't love you, because they were in love with an idea of a child that is unrealistic. How do I explain to him that the drugs these people put him on have put him in jeopardy so that they did not have to experience the trauma a three year old with a cleft pallet has experienced by life in an institution? How do I assure him when he points to the door that, really this is the best thing for you, this time it will work, third time is a charm, we won't let you go, we won't let you down?
We went to pick up Isaac after lunch and had an awkward transition due to an angry wasp nest at the door that caused us to have to hastily open and shut the door a million times to shuffle his last belongings into our car. We first went to Target to pick up diapers. Emerson melted down in the store, Isaac did just great. I acknowledge that Emerson's melt downs are all about making sure that he is getting equitable attention, but it would be lovely if he picked a new strategy soon.
We then went back to the hotel in which a attempted to have them take a nap. They quietly laid in bed, but when I heard them an hour later and asked them if they took a nap they booth sweetly said "no."
The social worker came by and visited for about an hour and we had a great talk. I also heard from the agency and they said that the ICPC might all be through by tomorrow, which means we could leave this weekend. If not it will be next week. My sister and I also did a lot of work today on lining up appointments with the international adoption clinic at UAB. This litte boy needs to get off these meds fast.
We had a good time at dinner and afterwards we played board games, did puzzles, played with bubbles and raced cars. I gave the boys a bath together and then we read stories. All the while Isaac kept putting his shoes back on and pointed at the door over and over again. He had such a look of fear and sadness in his eyes when I tucked him in. I look forward to the shift in that look, but it will take time. Good thing we have the rest of our lives.
On another great note, we found out today that the offer we put on the house was accepted. What a good week.
just caught up on a few posts and all I can say is thank God his FOREVER family has finally found him!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations.
Today is the begining of a new life for this sweet little boy, yes it will be difficult at times but he will soon learn to love and trust his new family I am also sure he will be very different once he is off the medications you are all lucky to have found each other, my thoughts and prayers are with you all as you say your final good byes Isaac is now where he belongs that's for sure
ReplyDeleteoh what a complicated and emotion-filled day for the whole family ~ may you all sleep well and safely tonight and may Isaac learn to relax into the loving embrace of his new family ~ all in good time. . .
ReplyDeletesounds like a good day-all in all!!!
ReplyDeleteheartbreaking and heartwarming all at once. This is the beginning of forever. Thank God you found each other finally!
ReplyDeleteWords are not adequate for all the emotions you must be feeling right now. It will get easier and he will learn to trust you in time. Great news about the house! Gereat week indeed!
ReplyDeleteSleep tight little one soon all the change will be over and you will feel relaxed with your forever family! I am praying for you!
ReplyDeleteI remember our oldest crying and looking out the window for his Mama and Baba in China (his foster parents). One of the most painful things I have ever gone through. It gets easier with time and it is reassuring he has bonded with the first family, even with all of the difficulties. You are in our thoughts. Jacqueline
ReplyDeleteI so agree with Stephanie -- your posts are hard to read because of the circumstances yet so inspiring to read! I just can't even imagine what must be going through Isaac's mind. And, hugs out to Emerson, too -- big changes for him, too! What a miracle that they both have you, and your knowledge and understanding. Isaac's sad eyes are implanted in my brain. I cannot wait to see the transformation that I know will occur, and those eyes will soon be sparkling. Sending so much support and prayers, Karon! This is an awe-inspiring story.
ReplyDeleteSo happy that Isaac has finally found his forever family. I can't wait to read how he will change and blossom. IF the transition seems hard, just think about how hard it was when Emerson left the Baby House. Change - even change for the better - is hard for kids this age. I'm sure that he'll get through it very soon with your love. And I can relate to the 'attention-seeking' behavior of the first child as we dealt with that in Kaz during the bonding period and are sure to have recurrences soon when Irina comes home. Remember, every team (even family teams!) must go through their "forming, storming, norming, performing" phases. All the best!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy you all have found each other. My heart goes out to Isaac, but it sounds like he will finally have the best support possible. I wish all 4 of you all the best in your transition. Thank you for letting me follow along. It's so amazing--Kazapalooza wasn't even a month ago, and everything has changed so completely.
ReplyDelete