Thursday, July 15, 2010

Today is the big day


Yesterday's trial run went beautifully, yet I acknowledge that this all must be very surreal for Isaac. When we returned to "his" house yesterday we were greeted with three trash bags of things on the walk that looked like they might be his things, we were later told it was "trash" but that they were getting rid of anything that reminded them of him. Then on the other hand he skipped up to the door in excitement. My heart did not know what to make of the situation. It is wonderful developmentally that he associates home as a good place and that he was overjoyed to see his other mother. At the same time it sparked a sense of rage in me that these people have violated that innocence of trust. I worry that when Isaac realizes what has happened if some of that innocence will be robbed from him? Will he look at us as the ones who took him away from the familiar? How do you explain to a three year old all the intricacies of poor choices and unrealistic expectations of adults?

Yesterday I just kept telling him that we were his forever family, and that meant that we would love him forever, no matter what. He looks at us with those huge black eyes, not with trust yet, but with curiosity and a question. This is good from an attachment perspective, yet it is so unfair to him that he is in the situation of having to do such work at such a young age.

At "his" house we packed his new red suitcase with all of his clothes for the next week. It was a bazaar assortment on winter and summer things, but hey they are familiar to him. We left him there for his last night with a promise to be back tomorrow (now today) after lunch.

The original plan was that he would come to the hotel and stay with us tonight and then on Friday afternoon we would take him back there to say his final goodbyes. On the ride home though John and I both felt that would not be the best thing for Isaac to return there for 30min only to leave again. We felt it would be more appropriate for the family to meet us at the hotel or a neutral place. We called the social worker to propose this idea and she talked to them about it. Their initial response was NO. It had to be at their place. This saddened us because once again, the "adults" were making decisions based on what was easiest for them, not the child. John and I talked about it and we recognized that due to Isaac's age the goodbye was really for the other family, and we were only being asked to do it one time. We could concede but we were not happy about it to say the least because we felt it would actually be a step back for Isaac. Fortunately they called the social worker back and agreed to meet us at the hotel to say their final goodbyes.

Who knows how today will go. It is a very different gotcha day then I envisioned for the last three years, and it is exactly what it is supposed to be. It is the start of something beautiful, something hard, something worthwhile something that will be in our lives and hearts forever. We love you little Isaac, thank you for coming into our lives. We will do everything we can to help you grow, thrive, love and be loved.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Karon, I am in tears reading your post, my heart breaks for this tiny little person. You are so right in this will be much harder then little Isaac is letting on. Although to bne very fair to him he really has no clue as to what is about to happen. I feel so HAPPY that G_D has lead you to this beautiful child but so DEEPLY sad on how it has happened. I feel so ANGRY at this people for doing this to this little boy, they seem almost in human. I know I should not judge, I am sure they have there own story but still, I just can not imagine.

    Karon you are a strong amazing human being and Isaac is so lucky to be coming into your family, in no time at all he will be doing so well. It will take time but time is worth a million dollars and I feel in my heart and soul you were sent to this little boy and I am so happy inside for all of you!

    Thinking of you and sending BIG hugs ti everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard not to be judgmental at this point. How a family could just give up a child who already has so much loss to deal with is astonishing to me, but I am certain that you are meant to be his parents. It is for this reason you had to struggle waiting to return to Kaz, suffer the letdown of a temporary but lengthy close, only to open your hearts and minds to what has been God's timing in bringing you to Isaac. He is your child and I know that you are prepared for the perhaps difficult, perhaps moderately smooth transition that is to take place now. I am proud to know you, even if just in the blog world.

    Isaac, though in a tough spot at the moment and perhaps for a while, is a very lucky boy. He has you as his Mama. Bless your family. I look forward to continuing to follow your journey.

    xo
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. May your day be blessed. Tomorrow is all yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievably surreal. Who throws out everything that reminds you of someone? Especially an innocent 3-year-old boy? Unreal. I hope the "goodbyes" go quickly so you can be on your way. Thinking of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart breaks for this little boy, yet it is also filled with hope and happiness because I know he has his forever family now and you all will show him the love and support that he has never known.

    Thinking and praying for you all today.

    Best, Pam and Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  6. More tears and more tears at reading this...be BLESSED in the knowledge that all things are for a reason...HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck with gotcha day today! I am sure that it will be bittersweet for Isaac - even the Kaz kids were reluctant to leave the familiar orphanage even though they had a much better family life waiting for them. I'm sure it won't take Isaac too long to figure that out. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope everything goes well today and that Isaac adjusts well during the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky boy to be moving into your lives. He may miss the familiar, but how could he do anything but thrive under the love and nourishment to his body and soul he will now receive.
    Tell Emerson we miss him and can't wait for him to introduce "Aunt Martha and Uncle Goose" to his new brother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lucky little boy ... what a lucky you. This is an amazing gift ... another chance, a family forever. God bless you all!! Well, I see he already has.
    Sending you much love as you begin the journey in earnest as a family of four!!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for Issac that he has you! Poor thing but kids are resilient and with you and Jon for parents he will come around. All of this is amazing and we will stay tuned and supportive! Gena

    ReplyDelete