Welcome to our wacky world. We have two sons. Emerson was brought home from Kazakhstan June of 2007 at 8 months old. Isaac joined our family July 2010 at 3.5 Years old. He is Chinese. This is a familly jornal and a way for us to look back on our life together and for others to follow along. I don't revise and edit, because, well I am busy and imperfect. Enjoy the rawness and creative spelling along the way.
Sunday, July 11, 2010
The First Meeting
We did it. We got to meet our new little one. I will say, one thing I know many adoptive parents question is whether or not to bring their current children with them when they meet their new child. Our meeting with Isaac was wonderful tonight but I will say it was tough managing Emerson's excitment with our desire to get to know Isaac. Then add to the mix a social worker and his current parents and it was interesting and overwhelming all at once. Before we went to his house the social worker came over and visted with us about Isaac and also discussed the week's plans. She also talked about what she felt would benifit Isaac as far as parenting styles. She went over to their house first and then we went to Target and got Isaac a Lightning McQueen car just like Emerson's and flowers for the family. When we arived Isaac recognized us from the pictures. Emerson was wound to the hilt and was totaly wild with excitment. He gave Isaac the car and Isaac called us Mommy and Daddy while pointing to the pictures we had sent him. I got down on the floor and played with the two boys while John talked to the father. Then John got on the floor and played with both of them while I talked to the mother. He is a wonderful little boy. He is smaller than Emerson and very skinny. He spent 2 years 8 months in an orphanage with a dairy alergy, so he is frail. All in good time he will be strong. He gave us hugs and did not cry once. He knows lots of words but has a hard time with pronunciation due to the cleft palet (it has only been repaired for 3 months.) Poor Emerson, when it came time to leave he just did not understand. He kept saying, "you come back home with me" "We came here to pick up my new brother." He then in true Kazakh Warrior style threw a temper tandrum that will be hard to match. John just calmly removed him from the room. We talked to the social worker after we left and she said his current family felt very good about our ability to parent Isaac. I just can't wait to get him all to our selves. It is hard to see him there. They don't like to feed him anything because it makes him "hyper" and his room is completely bear. The house does not have one kids book and there were only two toys for him to play with. All in good time. Tomorrow we go over for dinner and by Thursday he is comming to stay with us. Friday he will say his final good byes. It is all a bit sureal to me, as we spend more time with him it will sink in. I will say that we are truly the luckies most blessed people in the world. I am so thankful that the universe has unfolded perfectly. Tomorrow I will try and get some pictures of the boys playing. Tonight it would have been too akward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
These two little guys are lucky to have great parents like you too! I am so glad God brought us together as friends! Can't wait to see all the kids playing together! Love you guys! We are praying for an easy transition and a great trip home! See you soon!
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy for you and us. Another grandson. Two boys.....Wow!!! Can't wait to see the pictures. You two are doing well, soon the visiting will all be in the past and you will bring your new son home. We love you.
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you. Sounds like he will be the perfect addition to your beautiful family! Can't wait to see pictures.
ReplyDeleteWell, Alabama will certainly be the place to fatten him up! He's in the right family for that (smile). I am wondering if the absence of toys and things is b/c his stuff is already packed up? Anyway, that will soon change, too. So glad you got to meet him, and yes, Emerson probably did a great job of convincing the folks he's with now that Isaac will be in just the right hands!
ReplyDeleteCarol and I are so thrilled for you two and Emerson and Isaac. Time will fly by and soon you will be home with your boys...
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful life ahead for you all..
God is so good, so faithful... We continue in our prayers..
Thank you for this blog so we can share this journey with you! Can't wait to meet him and see you all. Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteSending our support and love! What a journey, what a journey! And, or course Emerson threw a temper tantrum -- that's what our boys do, right?! It would be too easy otherwise. :-) Thinking of you all constantly!!!
ReplyDeleteAh, the energy of the Universe unfolding in a microcosm of family!!! This all sounds very wonderful! Much health for the boys, and happiness as the family bonds, and of course MORE details of this little one's new journey in life! Blessings for a great week (and a calm dinner party tomorrow)!!!
ReplyDeleteHe is going to transform after he gets to you! It sounds like it went very well. How sweet of Emerson to want him to come home with you. I hope today goes even better than yesterday. Good luck! You are going to give I such a warm, loving, safe place to grow and thrive. :)
ReplyDeleteThe sound of Isaac's current home makes me sad! I'm so glad he will become your son where he can finally be the little boy he's always been meant to be!
ReplyDeleteI'll even put money on it, that he will grow at least 4 inches in the next 6 months! :-)
I'm sorry the first meeting was so chaotic, but the bright side is that it will only continue to get better and better.
Can't wait to hear more, and congratulations!!
It sounds like Emerson is excited beyond belief. He and Isaac with make such great little brothers. So happy for all of you.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy you got to meet him. Your love and care will transform him. Hugs! Jacqueline
ReplyDeleteI can relate about the current children competing for attention and being overzealous to a certain extent. But the bonding will be priceless. And you got to demonstrate your superior parenting skills! In any case, I am sure that the subsequent meetings will get less and less awkward. And Thursday is just around the corner. It sounds like Isaac will be better off in your care.
ReplyDeleteaww, I sounds like a great little boy & how sweet of Emerson to want him to come back right away! His currant home sounds so sad, he will do fantastic with you & John. I find it so sad that they said that about food, there are SO many alternatives, supplements etc etc out there. So very excited to watch your story unfold & I'm sure see I grow leaps & bounds! :)
ReplyDelete