So I will say, we have been mentally preparing ourselves to adopt a toddler for almost three years. We did not have any desire to adopt and infant again. We were thrilled to have the experience with Emerson so that we could watch all the stages of development a young child takes. We also acknowledged that there were many "older" kids in the world who also needed parents to open the hearts to them.
Now, here we are with a new three year old, but there are things to take into consideration. For instance while Isaac is about 3 years and 6 months old (I say about because his birth date is an estimate) there are factors that make him seem much younger. When we traveled here we fully expected his development to be where Emerson was this time last year and we were right. The biggest delays come from life in an institution. They say that for every 4 months in an institution a child is one month delayed. Isaac spent 33 months in an orphanage so you subtract 8 months. Then you add in time in an extremely stressful environment in his last home, where little to no intellectual stimulus was provided and he was actually medicated into submission. The next set back was his cleft palate was huge and not repaired until January so he has only had the chance to learn to form most sounds since then. Add to that he had significant hearing loss due to fluid in his ears that was also only corrected this January.
What amazes me is that despite all of this, he is now running, laughing, saying many "words" loving story time, climbing towers and giving hugs. The resilience of this age is amazing. I fully expect him to catch up over the next two years.
Now the tricky part for us in learning how to manage to two of them. Here are some observations that I thought would be good to note during these early days of parenting twins:
1. For now when onlookers ask if they are twins, I simply answer yes. Not necessarily to avoid the question but because one of them is usually running off and the conversation must end.
2. I have learned that Isaac sticks close to me (for now) As a result, I must put Emerson in his car seat, then put Isaac in. The same is true for unloading. Isaac gets out first, then Emerson.
3. Emerson is a quick study. Isaac eats like an orphan. He gobbles every grain of food. If some falls off his plate he quickly gets it for fear of me throwing it away. I am told that he will eat until he throws up, so I must moderate his intake because he will not. Emerson on the other hand is on the nomad diet. He eats a bite, wonders around a bit then takes another bite. Today at lunch, I told Emerson he could not go swimming unless he cleared his plate. He said "here you go Isaac" and Ta Da plate was cleared. Both boys were very happy with themselves for this mutually beneficial relationship.
4. Little boys in a small hotel room can make walls start closing in.
5. Both boys last night refused to take their shoes off at bed time. Isaac told me again last night that he wanted to go "home" I had to explain that that was not an option and why. We cuddled a long time and then he was Ok with staying. Then Emerson did the same thing. Why? I asked, "Because I want to show Isaac my Choo, Choo trains and take him to meet Mimi."
6. A parent of multiples must always carry a hands free bag with many goodies at all times.
7. Swimming with the two of them without John around is going to be interesting. Fortunately Isaac holds on. Emerson on the other hand will tell me through bubbling gurgling noise that he does not want my help.
I am sure many more revelation will surface as we move into the new normal. What I know mostly is that John and I are two luck people for having such wonderful boys wonder into our lives. We feel that Emerson chose us three years ago in Uralsk, Kazakshtan while we were chosen especial for Isaac. I hope that they feel the same way when they grow up.
For now we are still in Texas and wondering why Isaac was not in Vermont. We will hopefully hear back about whether we have permission to leave. Unfortunately our social worker will no be in her office until 12:00 so the earliest will will get to leave will probably be Tuesday morning. I am ready to go back home.
Sounds like you got your hands full but your heart is warm with joy! I think Emerson is quite clever with his sharing of his meal. It is good to know the Issac is eating as it would be more worrisome if he did not eat. Berik tends to over eat if allowed so we watch him too and he has thrown up before, yuck. Now if he asks for more, we set a bell for 3-5 min and when it goes off if he is still hungry we give him more, he usually isn't, but don't know if that will apply to I but maybe in the future. Safe travels and hugs to all. Gena
ReplyDeleteOur guys are 10 months apart but developmentally and size wise there is a lot more difference. The rivalry for affection can be exhausting but thank goodness they are both loving. I think you are handling the challenges well and your family will just meld together with time. We hope you are home soon. Jacqueline
ReplyDeleteI took Lilianna, Zeb and benjamin to the pool by myself a couple of days ago and had Benjamin in a bathing suit with an inner tube inside the bathing suit and Zeb in a life vest with a little handle on it! Flotation devices might slow down the process of really learning to swim...but for our trip to the pool it was perfect!
ReplyDeleteAlthough you are juggling a bit, it sounds like you are having a blast! Thanks for the tips. I am actually more nervous bringing the 2nd one home than the 1st one as I'm wondering how we'll manage. We've been fortunate that Miras is a clingy mostly obedient child (though he needs extra encouragement to try new things...) but Irina already seemed like spitfire who thought it was a really fun game to crawl away and out the door. So, she will go into the car first, THEN Miras. And we don't even know what will work for bedtime... So I appreciate your sharing the intimate details of adjusting to life with 2 toddlers. Although Irina is nearly 2 years younger than Miras, she should be walking so that will be interesting! I can't wait to hear about how Isaac starts progressing at lightening speed which I'm sure he will with your family and how he and E become even closer friends.
ReplyDeleteI laughed so hard at emerson getting isaac to clean his plate! You have to admit he is very smart! And I have to know if it worked? Can't wait to see you all!Safe trip home!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you've got things under control (as much as you can given the circumstances). You're such a courageous, open-hearted couple, I have no doubt Issac will catch up in no time. Hope you get to go home today. Big hugs, Karen
ReplyDeleteHe will catch up so quickly now that he is with you and has Emerson to model for him. It is hard to juggle two so close in age but so much fun to watch them develop a relationship.
ReplyDeleteIt is so joyful to think about the future. I'm sure there are moments where you just pray to get through the next second, but what an amazing life you will now all have as a family of four! Sending positive travel vibes so that you can all be on your way HOME.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great post. You have an ability to make challenging situations look humorous which is a great skill to have. I laughed out loud at the shared dinner being "mutually beneficial."
ReplyDeleteHopefully you soon get the news you need to leave Texas so that those 4 walls stop closing in!
Karen, I didn't understand your comment about Isaac was not in Vermont? I love your blog. It's awesome hearing the day to day events.
ReplyDeleteKaron,
ReplyDeleteEmmerson is so smart getting Isaac to help him clear his plate :-)
I am so happy for you all that this journey is almost over and that you are all almost home.
I know that you will have some struggles along the way, but I'm sure that the love you share as a family will make it all worth the struggles.
Julie xx