Do you ever have moments where you have so much to say or so much to think about, that you can't even start to write or start to contemplate all there is to process?
This is where I am right now. A lot of little things have gone on this week, some worth writing about, some things are just burdens on the soul, and others are problems to be figured out. It has left me at a stand still emotionally.
The first big thing we are dealing with STILL is the adoption tax creidt from 2010. We adopted a special needs child domestically and claimed him on our tax returns. Our accountant unfortunately put our old address on our tax return. Once June rolled around and I had not heard anything, I found out that the IRS was sending a notice of review to the wrong address. I called them up, waited on hold for 2 hours, explained that they had the wrong address and gave them our new one. He explained that we were being "reviewed" aka audited because we claimed the adoption tax credit. I asked what kind of information they needed and he explained that the IRS would be sending us a detailed list of what they needed (1/2 of which we already sent them, but a new office was handling our case now so they needed it all again.) So I waited, and waited. When I did not get it for 2 more months I went back to the web site to get the number so I could call again. Now the number was gone and note just said they were mailing me additional information and that it could take 8 to 10 weeks. I waited two more months, with nothing arriving. John called numerous times only to get a recording saying we had to mail in any information and that the numbers did not have anyone who would answer.
So, John mailed in a letter explaining that we were sill waiting for our 2010 returns or any further instructions about what the IRS would like as evidence that we did in fact adopt a child. Then this Friday, while my "imaginary" adopted children are taking a nap, the postman drives up honking incessantly to deliver certified mail from the IRS.
Great, they finally have the correct address. Turns out they STILL did not send the proper paperwork for us to complete, instead they are fining us $2,500 +$75 interest for not proving our case in a timely manner. Seriously people! I am not one of those people who goes around grumbling about the government, or whining about paying taxes. I get that I am part of a larger whole and that my tax dollars go to things like schools. AND, to have a nasty letter sent to me, claiming that I am a liar and a fraud is infuriating, depressing, frustrating and disheartening all at the same time.
We have held our child through four surgeries in the last year, managed to get him off of the drugs his previous parents had him hooked on, gotten him speech therapy, feed his malnourished body, given him our hearts and souls. Not for the tax credit, but let's face it; adoption is expensive and we have spent $1000 in medical expenses while waiting for this return to help cover the cost of our son's needs.
Now, I have a phone number again of a person I can supposedly call, but I am beyond frustrated at being treated like a tax criminal for adopting a child (everyone I know who claimed it, has been audited). Mind you, congress did not finish writing the tax code for the adoption credit until well into 2011, mind you, we gave them everything they asked for when we filled, I called them to ask what they needed, we wrote to them asking where to send our evidence. And the only thing they could actually manage to deliver was a penalty and a nasty condemning letter. Gurr! This is not what I needed right now.
There are some fun things I need to write about like the circus and the Chinese New Year, but for now, I am having a hard time finding the words to describe these events because I am so weighted down by the ridiculousness of another big mess by something that is too big to see the goodness of the ordinary right in front of them.
Oh, man, I hate dealing wtih teh IRS! I am so sorry that you are having such bad luck. I was so resentful that we had to jumpt through so many hoops to prove that we paid so much for teh adoption. It was like they thought that $50K was unreasonable - but if you look at any survey, that is about average for a Russian or Kazakh adoption. And we had about 30 days to get all this paperwork together while they then took 4+ months to review it (we kept getting letters stating that they were delayed in reviewing it - and we'd always get two fo the same letter). Really makes you wonder! In any case, I hope that all of the bureaucracy gets ironed out soon for you and without much more headache.
ReplyDeleteKaron - wow, just reading this. What a major bummer. Keep your cool and hang in there. I believe your love (for your kids)and even temper will help them see the problem. Remember, you have to be able to envision a good outcome for it to happen (or at least that's how I operate.)Sending love and good healing thoughts. Martha
ReplyDelete