Saturday, January 14, 2012

Railorad Park Rocks




I am sort of an all or nothing type of person.  The things I like, I love, the things I am interested in, I will research and want to know everything about, the things I am not interested in, I remain blissfully and intentionally ignorant.  The same things goes for where we like to live.  When looking for property to buy, John and I said we either wanted
A.  A place in a neighborhood, with side walks, a sense of community and where we would know our neighbors.
or
B.  A place in the country where we could live a life of peace and quiet. 

While in the middle of our search for a home, we worked a local festival with our business, and after meeting the "people,"  I began to only search for properties with acreage.  I knew I did not want to be a commuter and my kind of people would involve me commuting from somewhere like Vermont:) 

With that said, I do like the city.  You know the one with big buildings, coffee shops, farmers markets and great multicultural parks.  It balances me because one of the things we miss out on by being in the country side of Alabama is diversity.  Don't get me wrong it is out here, but we have learned that those people who are like us, are like us and they don't leave their property often...like us. 

So, when I am feeling the need to see "the others"  I take the boys downtown to Railroad Park.  What I love about it is that is filled with beautiful paths, open space, places for my kids to ride their scooters and the kind of people that smile at my kids riding their scooters.  I love that every time the boys go to the playground they make friends of all different colors and nationalities, and the parents will strike up a conversation, usually a good and interesting one. 

Today we even got a special treat.  There was a big celebration going on for MLK weekend.  United Way had organized a Walk for a Better Tomorrow focusing on nutritional equality.  Seriously universe, thank you for this one, I could not have planned to be at a more interesting place today.  There was this 10 year old boy with dreads that be-friended the boys and they all rode scooters together while we listen to speakers, and a local marching band.  "The Others" had come out of the wood work, and it was nice to see them, even if for only a short while. 

The challenge I gave to my students on Friday is one I want to give my family this weekend.  Don't think of MLK day as a day off but a day "ON."  What do you, or I care about enough that we are willing to stop the madness of indifference and stand up, speak up and act out for the right thing.  All we have to lose is the ability to make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment