Monday, January 2, 2012

The Word of the Year

So I have been reading on several blogs about how people are having a word, or as my teacher instincts have it, the theme for the year. I'm not so good with new years resolutions. My rational side knows that most aren't therefor it is OK for me to stink at it too.

None the less, I like the idea of acknowledging a new year with a new goal or purpose. When we have talked about what we want as a family for this upcoming year there have been many themes that have arisen.
Simplicity
Self-sufficient
Being present/ in the moment
Teaching
Learning
Acknowledging
Thankfulness
Sharing
Exploring
Being Open

As I look at 2012 and the big things ahead, I see two little boys in kindergarten. I see our business growing, a trip to the North West to see family and friends, Kazapalooza, our garden providing more and more food for us, and lots of learning and unexpected surprises along the way.

When it comes down to it, picking just one word is hard for me. I am a wordy person!
That alone though tells me loud and clear what my word and focus gets to be for the year: SIMPLICTY

I have blogged about this a fair amount recently, about recognising that more is less. I also love the Gandhi quote; "Live simply so that others may simply live." I want to see the beauty in things for what they are in their pure raw form, people for who they are despite their outside facade. I want to clear the murkiness of complex concepts for my students so they can discover the simple truth with clarity and precision that cannot be achieved in the midst of chaos and rushing. I want to slow down and be purposeful in my actions;  breaking them into simple steps that allow me to appreciate each part and moment that makes up the whole.

I don't want to mistake simplicity for a cop-out, or opt-out way. I view it more as a way of keeping out the middle men. I don't need to turn on the news to know their is hunger, I just need to go down the street with a jar of soup and feed the hungry, a simple solution.

I don't need to go to the grocery store and compromise by buying cheep produce that I know cost lives, both human and wild, due to harmful pesticides and toxic fertilizers. I can simply grow my own food.

I don't need to add to the landfills that rob my children of the wild places still left, because I can simply bring bags with me, or avoid packaged products, or re-use my canning jars year after year.

I don't need to run my boys around from one activity to another or buy them fancy designer clothes or every game out there. I simply need to teach them about ownership and respect of the things they have. When we do an activity or have friends over, we simply need to share our most precious gift of presents of mind. Today in this world, simplicity is not easy, but to me if feels right. So here is to a great and simple 2012.
When John and I went on a hike New Years Morning we found this rock that clearly shows the heart of simple beauty found in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment