Friday, January 27, 2012

Chineese Food Vs. Kazakh Food



When we began our second adoption journey, we have very much in mind how nice it would be to have our children share a similar background, look somewhat similar since they don't look like us. 

Alas that plan was foiled when Kazakhstan shut down their adoption program the day our paperwork finally arrived at the Embassy.  Through a series of events that would take way too long to explain this morning, Isaac who is from China joined our lives. 

We do our best to incorporate our children's culture, special holidays and traditions.  So, last night, Isaac requested Chinese take out for his birthday dinner at his Mimi's house. 

Isaac loved it, and as usual Emerson refused to step out of his narrow eating comfort zone of wheat, cheese, and fruit.  John was imploring Emerson to at least try some of the food.  Here is how the conversation went:

John: "Common Emerson just try it."
Emerson: "Nah, Isaac is from China and that is why he likes it.  I am Kazakh so that food is just not for me."
John:  "Here is some Mongolian Beef, that is almost Kazakh."
Emerson: "You know, now I am an American, so I think I will just stick with the Mac-and-Cheese." 

Seriously I see lawyer or politician with his ability to wiggle and rationalize around a situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment