Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Horay for Hillibillies

So I have been know to be critical of my home state of Alabama.  Let's face it, there is lots to criticize.  See I can't help myself.  But, with such cynicism I must take a moment to praise.  Just in case you have been living in a hole and did not know that Alabama was hit hard by tornadoes in the middle of the night.  In fact, the area all around us was devastated as if the tornado were like a skipping rock or Tasmanian Devil that thrashed and flatten one neighborhood then leave the next untouched.  We were lucky, we were untouched. 

With all that said, yesterday was the day that the hillbillies, you know the boys in muddy pick up trucks, that always carry their chain saw in the back, just in case... got to shine.  I was proud to see the large crowd at 7am of all the good old boys, the teens, the grandmas with an extra pie or a casserole were at the Clay Community Center, ready, willing and able to help a neighbor. 

Yes, us folks who like to read, and drive nice cars, and wear nice clothes, think we are so important.  Not so much yesterday.  You were a king or queen in Alabama if you had a pie, a chain saw, a tarp or a pick up truck.  Sometimes it is the simple practical help that people need.

No comments:

Post a Comment