One year ago lots of thins were very different.
* John had recently had surgery on his shoulder after ripping it to shreds as a result of a temper tantrum over a stray cat in the barn.
* It was snowing in Alabama, as opposed to this year where we ate on the porch on Monday night in short sleeve shirts.
* Our boys went to school only 3 days a week and now they go 4 days.
* We had not eaten one bite of edible food from our garden. Now we grown almost 70-80% of what we eat.
* Isaac only had 10 words at most and most of them were some form of NO or AHHHHH
* We did not have chickens, and I am sure now that life was better that way. I have learned I am a gardener not so much a farmer. Maybe in a different stage of life.
* Isaac was barely potty trained even though he was about to turn 4.
And most importantly... One year ago today was Isaac's official transition to being legal our son.
I am not sure if you, dear reader, have realized that I am not a person of faith. I do not mean spiritual void, but I am not so good at believing that the universe or my husband has any clue of what is going on, and thus I choose to be controlling and try to make things happen.
Silly me.. Both of my children have taught me a lot about how smart the world really is. Isaac officially became our son January 12, 2012, yet when we were chose to be his parents on June 28, 2012, he became our son.
Faith is the blind belief that something is right, even when evidence and facts don't necessarily point that way. If children were only derived from logic, well I am pretty sure we would be extinct with or without adoption.
Yet adoption seems to me, an even greater leap of faith/insanity/trust, than the good old fashion home grown kid. Regardless, I look at both of our boys stories, and I know that we were meant to be their parents. Now, for the PC adoption folks, let me clarify. I do not think the universe or God spited my children with a bum rap for their first few months or years, so that I could be their Mom.
And, once their own stories unfolded for a myriad of complicated reasons, we were open with our hearts and minds at the right time.
I am so thankful each and every day that we were chosen to parent each of our boys. Agencies did not have to say "Yes," Social workers did not have to say "Yes" judges did not have to say "Yes" we did not have to say "Yes."
One year ago today a judge said "Yes," and officially Isaac became legally our son, forever. He has taught me more than any masters degree, he has grown in more ways than I could have imagined, he has pushed me to my emotional limit, and he has shown me the healing power of love when it comes to resilience.
What a lucky Mama I am!
No comments:
Post a Comment