Friday, December 30, 2011

A note to readers

Dear readers,
I love that you are there, reading, following and enjoying (hopefully) the bits of pieces of our life. I would however like to clarify who I am and why this blog is here. I am a mom, a teacher, a business owner, a gardener, a wife, a cook, a friend, a sister, a daughter, a house cleaner, a scientist and a human being. Oh, and I blog because we have friends and family all over the place that like to know how things are going.

With that said, I am a divided person, doing the best I can and often that means I have to prioritise. Ever since I was little I have been what some have called a "Bad Speller." My father, half-brother and I have struggled immensely with spelling to the point of being told to just now write anything we couldn't spell, or why don't we just go do math instead and leave the writing up to those who can do it "pretty." Fortunately for me, my father had been down this road, and while he has a masters from Harvard and is a scholar and a retired very successful businessman, he cannot compose a written thought to save his life. He was told not to compose because of semantics. That his voice in the written form was not worth reading because of error.

Dad fortunately saw the flaw in this thinking and taught me "Don't let the best be the downfall of the good."

This blog is a journal, a good journal, not "the best" or a contender for "Top Mommy Blogs." Yet, when I add up the seconds I have in the day, the amount of effort it would take for me to get each post to a perfect published piece given my learning differences, would be composition prohibitive.

I get it, I am a teacher who reads through thousands of pages of misspelled text my students have writen to try and filter for their grasp of a concept. It is harder to read. And, I spell check dear readers, but alas it is not perfect, when done with a child on your lap and the other running around under the desk.

So there you have it. I really am not stupid. I have many talents, gifts and things to share. I am just a lousy speller who sees words different from others.

2 comments:

  1. I too have great difficulty with spelling. When I first started teaching I would write words I wasn`t sure of in yellow when writing on chart paper. Yellow is hard to see from afar and I figured the principal would never come further into my room than the door. One year I even had a 2nd grader spell words for me LOL.
    I don`t know why people get into such a lather about spelling. Heck if you understand what I meant to write what is your problem.
    Don`t let a silly comment faze you, I love reading your blog. Our blogs are chats with ourselves and our friends, not published tombs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is real - that's why we are here! In any case, I think you said it well, no one can be great at everything and don't dwell on the things you can't do well. They shouldn't define you. As I face potential future learning disabilities with my daughter, I try to keep this in mind. And the fact that many times "book smarts" - or those skills that make successful test takers - are not necessarily what make successful adults. And fortunately we have lots of 'crutches' like spell check and calculators to help the spelling and the math challenged among us! p.s. I was a spelling bee champ but suck at math.

    ReplyDelete