Thursday, December 15, 2011

Why we are who we are?

I am on a bit of a cliche analyzing kick right now. It is not because I have enough time to ponder such things. It is probably the opposite. I remember when it would become crunch time for finals and I would get really stressed and overwhelmed, I knew the studying would end when I made this one particular decision. I would go through and calculate my current grade, then figure out what I needed to make on the final to keep it at an A or if I was making less than an A what would I need to make to get it there. Usually I found out that I would have to bomb the test or make well of 100% to really sway the results.

So what does this have to do with anything? Well, right now is grade time, the end of the 9 weeks. It is time for me to grade 126 science notebooks that are each 76 pages long. I am doomed. Therefore I find my brain leaning more towards the blog and philosophical questions.

I remember in a high school philosophy class reading the book "Why bad things happen to good people." It explored the age old adage that without the bad, the good would not really be so special. I being the young idealist argued that this was not necessary. Good was good, despite the bad.

The other morning, the boys (all three) and I were pondering the question of "What is my purpose on this planet." "How can we use our gifts to make the world a better place?" What I found beautiful was the responses Emerson and Isaac gave despite their very young age.

Emerson boldly stated that he really felt it was important to let people know that they are loved and appreciated. Considering that Emerson was 1.7 lbs when he was born and spent the first 3 months of his life in an incubator, this makes sense given his physical deprivation for the first very important months of his life. He lives his purpose fully. He openly gives hugs, thanks and compliments. He does not let a kid play alone on the play ground, and reminds me frequently that I am "His best Mommy ever."

Isaac thought about it, then stated he wanted to make sure that everyone has enough good food to eat. Again, a good thing for him, considering he came to us at 3.5 years old and nearly starving to death. What a cool thing that he has taken the lowest point of his existence to recognize that he has the power to prevent that same type of sadness for others. He is able to heal from his suffering by becoming empowered through the gift of bringing great joy to the hungry.

Now, am I saying that we should all go out and spread a little misery so things can get better? Not quite, there is already enough bad in the world. What is important is taking the time to really see how we can take those life events can humble us to becoming more humane, not just human.

1 comment: