Monday, December 26, 2011

Santa's Letter to the Boys

This Christmas has been my favorite by far. It has been so much fun to teach the boys about the gifts they have to share, and to dream of the gifts we have to give to the world, because of each of our experiences with life thus far and our talents that we have received.

I will say that I used to be pretty lame and jaded about the holidays. I don't like to shop and I really don't like to just give out of obligation our duty. We don't have much and therefor when we do give something we want it to be meaningful, useful and appreciated.

I can remember one year John and I half heatedly hanging DNA models on our jade tree to appear festive. This year, however, we found great joy and memories as we decorated the tree. John took the boys on a field trip to the Christmas Tree Farm. They picked out a small cypress tree. When we got it up and ready to decorate, we all talked about each and very ordainment and where it came from. It was so fun to hang bits and pieces of memories of friends, my Granny, ordiments from Yankee Swap parties at Beth's house years ago, and homemade ordimants made by the boys. This year it clicked for me. Our tree has provided a light physically but also allowed us to light up the memories and people who have shaped our family.

We have also spent a great deal of time making gifts this year, and down playing the whole commercialism of the season. What I saw with my boys as they are starting to get the idea of Christmas is that when they did receive their gifts they were thrilled and showed genuine gratitude.

On Christmas night, the boys decided to camp out together in Emerson's room. I left the sutters wide open and explained that they could not get out of bed until the sun was up. When they woke up, I sent them in to check on the living room and see if Santa came. They came running back into our room exclaiming that he did and that he had eaten the cookies and left a letter.

They crawled in bed and we read the letter together:

Dear Emerson and Isaac, (and their parents)

Thank you for letting me know that I needed to come through the front door rather than the chimney last night. Hopefully your dad will have the fire place done for next Chrismas because that is my favorite way to come and deliver presents.

I saw your pictures and I cannot believe how much the two of you have grown this year. Isaac, your mark on the wall shows that you have grown more than 4 in. I'm growing a lot too this season, thanks to wonderful cookies like the ones you made for me.

Part of my job is to make sure that all the boys and girls are doing their part to make the world a better place. I have been watching you and I am very happy with the little men you are becoming.

Isaac I am so proud of how kind you were to take your neighbor dinner the other night when you knew he was hungry. I also love hearing all of the new sounds you can make now after your surgery.

Emerson, you have done a very good job this year of helping the people around you know how much they are loved and appreciated. I was so proud of you for sending Sophie Kate a get well video card when she had her surgery. Keep remembering to give hugs and kisses to those who need to know that someone cares about them.

John, once again you have been a busy Dad. I am glad to see that you are doing much better since your accident last winter. You are working hard at living a life you believe in. It is not always an easy thing to do, but I am proud of you for doing it anyway.

Karon, what a beautiful bunch of boys you have. It must be all that healthy food you are feeding them. Your gardens look beautiful. I love seeing how you keep finding your way around the problems that life throws at you. As we both know, life is not about the problems, but what you do next.

Tonight I leave you gifts that will help you grow in knowledge, closer as a family, and things that will help you grow more healthy food for your family and friends. Please take the time to cherish these gifts as they have been hand picked for each of you. Most importantly, I ask you to take the time today to appreciate the people and world around you. For beings are so much more valuable than things.

Peace on Earth,
Old St. Nick

P.S. Rudolf Says keep on lighting up the world.

3 comments:

  1. Well, having you come into our lives is a pretty special gift. (The poem and the paper necklace are something we will cherish as well) Thing One and Thing Two are always welcome in our home and in our lives - what a joy. Thanks for sharing this wonderful letter form Old St. Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really nice! A great idea and one that I'll have to try for next year when Irina "gets" Santa and hopefully when Miras is over his fear of the big red guy. I do purchase lots of gifts - mostly small ones - for the people we want to show we care about (family, friends and neighbors). (We tried baking gifts in the past but that didn't turn out too well...) I let the kids deliver them and say Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope that it helps to give them a warm and fuzzy feeling of making someone else's day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful letter. It is a fantastic idea and I am sure it made the boys feel so important and proud of themselves.

    ReplyDelete