For those who know me well, they know that my ability to stay put is not one of my strong suites. I will be honest, as the school year has come to an end my feet have started itching. Not nessisarily because I don't like being in Alabama, but I want to know about what else is out there. I will say I have found life in suburbia madding in being dissacociated from the basic principles of living and humainity. It bothers me that I have neighbors but no community. Or that I can spend 45 minutes driving around in circles but not really going anywhere. The rat race forces so many daily transitions that I am hardly in the mindset of one place before I am I swept off to another obligation. Granted when we lived in Rural Eastern Oregon I longed for the ability to do all the kinds of things I am running around to.
This weeeknd I think we had such a good time because we did see the happy medium and for the first time in a long time I felt like I belonged somewhere. People knew about our buisness, they talked about social anthropology, intentianal communities, living off the land and the joy of gardening for both sustinance and beauty. Music was played, mud puddles were danced in, and the food nurished the spirit and body.
The other wonderful thing was watching Emerson thrive in the wide open spaces. He made friends, raced cars, squished mud between his toes, caught fire flies, ate mulberries, petted goats, and collected duck eggs. His unflapable spirit made his eyes shine with a brightness that inspired wander and awe with those he came into contact with this weekend. There were times I sat back and watched and just said thankyou to the uniiverse for allowing us to be his guides through life and allowing him to show us the beauty of all things great and small.
This weekend I found beauty right in front of me and I felt at home.
Just reading back at this most beautiful and blessed post Karon! The joy and gratitude you felt was palpable through your words ... I felt like I was there ... Just beautiful!
ReplyDelete