Yesterday I was speaking to someone who knows of our situation and how much we are struggling to figure out what the "right thing to do" is. When I told him our plan forward he said, "I am so sorry, I know this is not how you envisioned things." True, very true. For years we have looked forward to kindergarten as a family. We worked so hard with both boys and their pre-school teachers in the early intervention program so that they would be ready to be mainstreamed by 5. We not only had a goal for our boys, but we could picture how we thought it would be attained.
And, this is just a new topic for a frequent theme of how we learn in life, that not everything is supposed to go according to plan. When I stoped to think about it, we are thrilled to take this next step. We are running to something that we feel is right. Notice I did not say "easy." Somehow we seem to be allergic to such paths, although they look so pretty and clear. I must say we feel a bit as though we did when we first chose to adopt. We started of knowing we wanted a family. Our imaginations were too limited and sheltered to know how that one simple wish would lead us to the most precious gifts the world has ever offered us. Were they perfect, matching, easy to come by, with fair tale stories to go along with them? No, but we did not specify that in our wish.
Our wish for our boys is that they will learn about the world around them so that they become productive contributing members of society. We thought this meant public school, down the street. Little did we know how small a dream this was compared to how our boys need to learn and where they are emotionally. We have known these last few weeks that our boys were not in a place that matched their needs. We have known for one week that a change had to be made ASAP.
Yesterday was their last day at their school, and it was sad for many reasons, even though it was the right choice. I am mostly sad because being a parent sometimes just plain stinks. The boys will morn this change and loss of another community. Yet, they did the same thing for other places they needed to leave. Still, it stinks to be the one who had to make that call.
Monday, though starts something new. Here is our ideal plan for now:
(We still have one more school to visit on Tuesday before we can fully move forward.)
- Enroll the boys in the homeschooling academy
- Join Red Mountain Community School's correspondence program
- The boys all go to school on Thursday's at RMCS
- John teaches them the bulk of their subjects through experiential learning in the mornings, naps in the afternoon while he builds, and I do the rest in the evenings/weekends while he delivers.
- We have a field trip once a week.
- Then we would like to officially apply for the Waldorf school with the hopes that they would start there in the fall for 1st grade.

Sounds like a great plan! We should meet up and play!
ReplyDeleteKaron,
ReplyDeleteI know this has not been easy, if anything this is most likely the hardest thing you have had to deal with in parenthood so far... BUT, I am so proud of you for doing what is right for your children. You knew your children were suffering and you did something ASAP which many parents would only "talk" about doing but you walked the talk and I am so proud to call you friend. I know this will not be easy and it will have many bumps in the beginning but I think you have a GREAT plan in place for your children. I can not wait to hear how the first week goes. (( hugs))
Karon and John,
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderfully diverse plan that sounds like it will meet the specific needs of your boys. One of my initial thoughts when reading your blog and other's comments was that the boys weren't ready for Kindergarden and maybe their venture into school should wait another year. BUT...thinking along those lines does nothing to address the current challenges that you are facing and would only delay their education and introduction to the school setting.
While it's been a struggle (and will continue to be) I applaud you for your strategic thinking that continues to benefit your kids in the short and long term.
((((Hugs))))!!!!!!!!!
Amy and Kendall
So glad that you have a plan and are moving forward - sometimes that brings relief to just be able to take action and not feel so, well, stuck. It sounds like a good one that balances everybody's needs. And, as you said, it doesn't have to be forever. I am already thinking that Irina will spend another year at her pre-K program (the private one as the public school will kick her out at age 5 wanting her to go to Kindergarten - but at least the private one provides a para-professional for her) before we send her off to Kindergarten. So, onward and upward! All the best to you as you make this transition!
ReplyDeleteI just came across your blog today via your comment on Invisible Disability. I'm not passing judgement, telling you are wrong, or encouraging you in any way to change your mind. I have 4 children. The oldest is my bio son, and he has Asperger's. The next is my stepson and he has RAD. Before we were able to get full custody of him he was abused by his stepfather. We couldn't prove it in time to prevent horrific trauma. :(
ReplyDeleteI'm writing to let you know that you may have more choices than you think. I'm unsure of what state you live in, but most states do not mandate formal education until the age of 7. Thus, your boys don't have to start Kindergarten or even have formal education this year, if you would prefer to just work on bonding and other issues without the educational stressors. Also, you can homeschool and send them to school for some classes. Ex: My Sophomore thought about being homsechooled this year, but I'm terrible at Math. The school district would have had to allow him to come to school for his Math classes. Your kids are still eligible for therapy or special education services even as a homeschooling family. If they try to get around this, let them know you are aware of your rights.
I know this isn't what you dreamed it would be and I'm sorry. I really am. This is what I am sure of though, sometimes the alternative answer ends up being much more beautiful.
Thanks this is great information. Our state does requre enrollment by the age of 6, but we are happy to be homeschooling for now with lots of intentional bonding activites. We are getting ready to contact the BOE about OT and speech for our boys. I used to have students in Oregon who would do 1/2 day at school and 1/2 day at home.
DeleteDid you know there is a FB group for Kaz moms who homeschool? I am not in the same boat as you but also struggling with finding the best placement for my daughter. At this point, she is attending preschool 2 days a week and I am using a homeschool program on the other 3 days. I feel like we dont fit in either worlds. Good luck! Erin
ReplyDeleteI did not but I must find them:)
Delete