Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Where the Wild Things Are


Last night, out of exhaustion, and craving for cuddle time with the boys, I agreed to a family movie night.  John, in his haste at the library, picked up Where the Wild Things Are. We had just recently talked about the book, who's author passed away last week, because I was telling John about the amazing piece NPR did about the book and author.  http://www.npr.org/2012/05/08/152248367/maurice-sendak-where-wild-things-are-author-dies

I must admit, we have the book, and I have read it to the boys, but I have never really loved it, or felt the depth that is so often discussed about Maurice Sendak's work.  I also must admit, that I regularly tell my students that I hate watching movies of books I have read, because I don't like other people to do my interpreting for me. 

Well, last night that all changed as I watched one of the most powerful storied unfold with my two little wild things sitting on my lap.  First off, I think I loved the movie because it pushed me to broaden my view of the simplicity of the story, but it left me with a huge amount of room for interpretation, inference and a way to internalize the deep symbolism. 

As we watched Max rage at the beginning and struggle with basics like friends, manners, family relationships, I felt a kinship.  I related to the exhausted mother, the love, the frustration, the desperation, the pleading, and the unconditional devotion to her child. 

When Max approached the monsters, I began to recognize my monsters, the monsters that plague my students, my boys.  Doubt, invisibility, rage, distrust, nervous, anxious, sadness, loneliness, desperation...

What I found to be so powerfully sad, and inspiring at the same time, was Max's desire to survive by pretending to be King.  The ideal that he could somehow control the fate of all the monsters through power, or fun, or war.  Ultimately, though, love, honesty and understanding was what was truly needed.  The monsters remained for Max, but through love and distance he became empowered, despite the inability to dictate or control the demons that plagued him and so many of us. 

I found myself moved to tears.  Moved to loved and moved to understanding of the complex relationship we all share with our demons.  Most importantly I found the end scene with the mother with a big dinner and huge hug and a sigh of relief to be the most powerful gift a little boy could receive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment