Thursday, May 31, 2012

Baby, Baby, Baby Oh

Well I did it.  I broke down today and went big on the change for Isaac.  I bought him a baby bottle at the grocery store.  When we got home and I unpacked the groceries and he saw it, he instantly asked about it.  "Is that mine?"  "Just mine?"  "does anyone else get to use it?"  "how does it work?"  and on and on.  It was nap time so I put his almond milk in there (he is very allergic to animal milk) and we sat in the rocking chair together. 

He squealed, he laughed, he worked hard on holding eye contact even though this is hard for him.  He was downright pleased and excited.

This is one of those things adoptive parents to be, read about in book.  Bottle feeding toddlers and preschoolers as a necessary step backwards.  I have for some reason resisted this, but given the wildness of his swings recently I would rather we crawl back through the emotional ages. 

Not that I was ever really one to care what others thought, but for some reason I did on this one.  One more bit of normalcy thrown out the window, but hey who is keeping count when we are so off the main stream already. 

2 comments:

  1. If there was a 'LIKE' button I would be pressing it :-)

    Issac seems really happy and I hope this works.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one thing I held out on for months too, just seemed too weird for me. But after being home about 6 months, I also went for it. It worked great for us, I even brought out the bottle in the middle of a meltdown and it totally calmed him down. He came home 3 years ago and he is 6 1/2 now. He even asked for it a few months ago and I took him in my arms in the rocking chair and bottle fed him.

    ReplyDelete