Thursday, August 12, 2010

What a difference a month makes

It is hard to believe that we have know Isaac for a month now. Some moments it feels like one big blur and at other moments I can't believe how far we have come. It seems like life, pre-Isaac was forever away.

In light of keeping things in perspective for us to look back on and to help our friends family and other adoptive parents see what is going on, I will list what I see as the big changes.

1. Food and Weight: When we first met Isaac he was skin and bones with a rock hard distended belly. When we ate, he shoveled everything in his mouth as quick as he could and begged for every grain of rice to be scraped from his bowl and he would pick up any stray bits.

Now: Isaac appears to have gained weight and I can no longer count his ribs from a distance. He still ask for food all day long, and most of the time we have something for him. He now will eat 1 and 1/2 servings but will leave food in his bowl. If asked he will share food with any of us and occasionally plays with his food like a normal toddler.

2. Digestion issues: We were told that Isaac was allergic to everything and that all foods seemed to cause him diareah. He has only had this one time with us and no other incidences.

3. Drugs: Isaac was on two very intensive psycotrophic drugs when we met him. They kept him groggy, dragging and just plain out of it. When he would take one of them, I could literally watch the personality being snuffed out of him.

Now: We have totally weened him off of one of the medicines and he will be done with the other on on Saturday. We have not noticed any negative behaviors or issues arise as of yet. What we are seeing is a normal three year old boy. To the untrained eye, 3 year old boys do look like someone who is mentally ill.

4. Behavior: When we first met Isaac he was complacent and obedient to a fault. Yes, it was cool that he could put on his own diaper, but that is not normal. He didn't cry or protest because it was forbidden.

Yes, we have taken him backwards in this regard, but I know it is for the better. He does throw tantrums, he does scream and shout when he doesn't get his way. He also goes to time out, explains and/or shows me what he needs to do that is correct and give great"I'm sorry hugs and kisses." We are all learning.


5. Potty: When we met Isaac his other family had given up on Potty training and just left him in wet and messy diapers.

I am happy to say that he is about 85% potty trained. He has only gone #2 in a diaper or underpants 2 times since we have met him. He is starting to ask to go pee and poo. We are getting there. We have not started night time training because he will not get out of his bed for any reason at night.

6. Brothers: Emerson and Isaac's bond is growing but I will admit it is slow. Isaac really wants me all to himself which causes tension for both of them. Emerson does a good job of including Isaac, and Isaac is great with making sure Emerson gets what he needs. They don't quite know how to play together yet, but I think it will take Isaac moving into the next developmental stage for that to happen.

7. Attachment with Us: So here it is, I am going to tell the truth. Attachment to a toddler is slow going. With Emerson things were quick. He was a baby. Yes it was hard to parent him when he came home and it was not an easy road but he did not really have quirks yet. His demands were over basic needs or specific discomforts. Isaac is 3.5 and has expereicned a lot in his short life. Like it or not the kid has baggage. He has things he likes and doesn't like and because he is 3 this changes every hour on the hour. Don't get me wrong. John and I adore Isaac. We are so happy he is in our family. And, it is a slow process to grow to love a child who has just joined your family in the way that one should love a son. Fortunately, I know it will happen. Everyday we get to know him better. I look forward to looking back on this post in a year or 6 months and smiling at how much progress we have made.

One big thing is that Isaac has started to dole out kisses to the two of us. It took almost a month but it has come and it came on his terms which makes me very happy.

8. Coordination: When we met Isaac he barely had enough strength to run, not to mention that he was wearing shoes that would fall off of his feet because they were too big. We were told that he HATED the water. He rarely had time to play outside or run around like a boy should. He would fall easily and cry hysterically when he would trip.

Now, poor little guy has many bumps and bruises all over his knees from running and falling. The good news is that he is trying all these things and everyday he becomes more coordinated. He loves the water and begs to take a bath now and always wants to go to the pool. We still have a long way for him to go before he is where his peers are, but I am sure it will come.

9. Self Play: This is slowly improving but it still needs some time to develop. I think this will get better as I am home for my leave and he feels more attached to us.

10. Language: This is the area where we need the most help. He does not seem to be able to make many sounds and he is very hard to understand. I would say 90% of his tantrums are because he can't communicate a need or want. We are teaching him to sign as fast as he can learn. I can't wait to get him started in the early intervention program so that we can see more progress. We meet with the cleft pallet team on August 26th where we will learn more.

Tomorrow is my last day of work for the next 6 weeks and I am glad. I am sad that I will not be there for my kids, but it is really too much, too soon. I know these next 6 weeks will fly by. More on that another day. This tired mama needs some sleep.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Karen,
    I simply adore your blog. I'm in awe about your wisdom, I've learned so much. I love your numbering of issues, you are just so well structured. And I laugh! You have the best sense of humor, like the 3-year-olds seeming to be mentally ill.
    And I'm impressed with little Emerson, coping so well with the situation (if it's not perfect that's ok, perfect wouldn't be normal I guess). Does he have any attachement issues waking up?

    Since you invited me to read your blog we have switched countries from Kazakhstan to Russia, because there is just nothing happening in Kaz, still. In an instance after having turned in our papers we had a referral, travelled to Russia, met a tiny but very fun 14 months old boy and are now waiting for a court date.

    Looking forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. I have heard many stories of birth parents who did not develop an instant bond with their little one, and were relieved when sometimes after weeks, sometimes after months, it began to grow. What is wonderful with both of you is that you have so many parenting skills, along with your educational experience to help in what seems to be largely a stage of "getting to know you," establishing trust, creating a safe and structured environment in which both boys (and you) can thrive, and a whole heck of a lot of problem-solving. All this thrown in with a lot of heart and faith that in time, all these experiences will have laid a wonderful foundation for a rich, real relationship that will grow, grow, grow, as is your newest little one. Thank you for including us all in your journey. Love you, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karon,
    Sounds like things are coming right along. That must feel so good to get spontaneous affection from Isaac. Hang in there with the balancing 2 needy boys! We are still working on that. Maybe speech therapy will help the communication too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sounds like Isaac has come a long way. Just think where your family will be in six months. Parenting an older child is not for the faint of heart. Garrett still doesn't know how to play by himself. Thankfully there's a boy (Daniel) in the neighborhood who's befriended G. Coincidentally, Daniel is also adopted (from Russia). It warms my heart when Daniel rings the bell and asks to play with G.

    Keep up the great work K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post Karon, again thanks so much for your down to earth honest! You are so right, 3 years old are mentally ill... Henry could drive anyone to drink!!!! LOL

    It sounds like you have your work cut out for you BUT, you are on the right path and with lots of time and hard work you will get there. I LOVE how you number things and how well you example everything that is going on. I wish I lived closer and our boys could hang out together and you and I could sit back and have a good chuckle watching them play:)

    Hang in there and enjoy your alone time with Isaac the next 6 weeks, I think you will uncover a lot during that time period.

    I have been meaning to ask, what grade do you teach? You seem like an awesome teacher.

    Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karon,

    It sounds like Isaac has made light years of progress in just a month. You are amazing. Isaac and Emerson are so lucky to have you and your husband as parents.

    Love,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm LOVING your posts! You are absolutely correct with your comment that three year old boys appear mentally ill--and their mamas can follow quickly! His progress is HUGE, and he is so blessed to have two wonderful, loving parents, as well as a brother, to care for him. Hang in there--parenting children is a roller coaster ride no matter what! Just when you think you know where the next big turn is, someething else comes instead! Looking back, it was a ride that I would take again for sure--but with MORE than three kids if I had to do it over! They're so much better than TV since TV is way too predictable! You're in my prayers--there will be rewards for you in Heaven one day! All my love--Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leaps and bounds! How amazingly fast kids adapt and grow in a loving setting with caring people. You are doing an amazing job.

    A lump formed in my throat when I read about him not getting out of bed at night. Austin just this month began getting up out of bed and coming into our room. After naps and in the morning it would drive me nuts how he would just stay in his bed no matter what.

    We also have had a long process attaching to Austin. It takes time and the fact that you know that will be much help for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so proud of you and John and love hearing so many details of your experiences. As grandparents, it is hard to living across the country and we wish we could be there in person to lend a hand and get to know both our grandsons! Truly you and John were hand-picked by our loving God to raise these two boys and shower them with love, a secure and safe home and give them a wonderful future filled with hope! HE is empowering you both with all the wisdom, guidance and love that you will need for this high calling He has given you. We are so proud of you and love you so much. We'll be sending some gift cards this week to help out with school clothing and want to donate to the family photo fund! Love to all 4 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed at the "3 yr old boys seeming to be mentally ill", so true. Same for 7 yr old boys.:)

    Amazing how much progress you all have made in just a month! I love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to see that you have seen progress but also recognize that the path ahead may be long. I think that the confidence to tackle these issues head on will make all the difference in the world. It sounds like the medicines really did a number on this poor kid. And I love the comment about 3 year olds looking like they are mentally ill. I was just wondering whether Miras has ADHD because he is bouncing off the walls and talking non-stop. But then I remembered that he is 3 and a boy!

    ReplyDelete