So the other day I treated myself to a new pair of trail runners. I have not gotten myself new shoes for almost three years due to being on an adoption budget. The holes in the other ones were so far gone that I needed to take the plunge. To top things off I have difficult feet and a complicated ankle injury that acts up when changes are inflicted upon it. Non- the less I found a great pair of shoes that at first were supper comfortable and a good match for my feet. So the next day I go to do my work out (because I must loose the Texas hotel weight I gained.) This morning though I woke up with all sorts of new aches and pains and a very unhappy ankle.
What does all this have to do with our adoption blog? Well, it is a good analogy to what I think Isaac is going through. His old home was like my old shoes, adequate but some major holes were present. Our house is like the new shoes, a better fit, tailored to his needs and lots of support where support is needed. None the less, my body is still sore because it was a change, even if it was a good change. The same is true for Isaac. He is not able to process that this is a good thing or a temporary soreness because it is different. To him sometimes it would seem like a good idea to take the shoes back or not ever work out again because it was/is uncomfortable. It was a way of reminding me that all things take time. Today I will not be able to do as strong of a work out/nor should I. Over time I will get used to the shoes and be able to push to a new limit until another obstacle arises. The same is true for my new little guy. The other big thing, is we are regularly expected to be adjusted right now. Isaac has not yet been in our world for a month. It would be like expecting those 15lbs I want to loose to be gone in the one week of working out. Sure that would be cool, but not exactly a realistic expectation. With Isaac we would be doing fabulous if we all were set in the new normal of our family by Christmas. I say the "new normal" because life will never be like it was before him, nor should it be. We have a new person in our family, and it is tough work to adjust to such a big change. Just like it is tough work to shed these 15 lbs.
On to why I love racket ball courts. If you are looking for a great thing to do when it is raining or a million degrees out, I highly recommend a racket ball court and one ball per child and a racket for the grown up. Yesterday we went into this white room with a door that shut and a place where my kids could scream their hearts out. It was fun for all. I loved just getting to play with them and let them be their wild little selves.
Yesterday I also had a great IEP meeting to get Isaac all set up for school. They managed to get all of his test results from Texas which were really useful and very similar to what I was thinking. It was nice to see that someone else had seen many of the same things. What is also very encouraging is that Isaac has many of the same issues that Emerson HAD. This school is great and I am confident they will have him where he needs to be before kindergarten in two years. So Tuesday he will go for his first day and I think he will love it. He is very routine oriented, he loves crafts and singing and his teacher is unflappable.
yay for insights, new shoes, workouts, adjustments, unflappable teachers, and adjustments. . .
ReplyDeleteha ha ha did I mention yay for adjustments? just checkin'. . .
ReplyDeleteBoy, is your teacher gifting showing itself or what?! The analogy of the shoes and Isaac's situation is beautiful! I always think and teach using pictures, so this really spoke to me! Keep doing what your instincts tell you to do because they're all right on. You're a wonderful inspiration to me! I also wanted to tell you that a teacher friend of mine here in John Day told me that one of her relatives adopted a child from Hong Kong who also had a cleft palate, and that child is now in med school, studying to be a doctor! So be encouraged since you've taken on the most difficult but most rewarding and wonderful job in the world--parenting!
ReplyDeleteI love the shoe story! You'll are doing just fine. Slow and steady wins the race!! Hugs from us Texas folk! Gena,Jaimie and Berik
ReplyDeleteKaron, what a beautiful post (again!). Your analogy is so spot on, and just so touching. We are so happy that you are pleased with the school, and we hope that Isaac settles in nicely with his new routine and his new friends. We continue to think of you always!
ReplyDeleteIsaac is so fortunate to be with a family who gets finally him. It's God's plan in action.
ReplyDeleteWonderful analogy.
ReplyDelete