Sunday, August 12, 2012

The word for the school year is ....

I have recently discovered a new way of looki g at yearly goals.  Many friends have started to have a yearly theme instead of a long list of concrete promises or resolutions.  For 2012 I chose my theme to be "simplicity.". My goal was to see and experience life in its most true and real form and to not over complicate life.

And, I am a teacher, by profession and by nature.  I love to push the walls of our knowledge circle wider with curiosity.  I also know that my students are people in an awkward challenging time of life.  As I wrote my post this morning about being unconditionally loved by friends, what I neglected to mention, was how special it feels to be chosen.  Yes, our families love is, because we are family.  I love them to including all of our differences.  AND, there is something special about someone choosing to not only accept you, but enjoy you.  It is something that makes you feel alive and to have worth, and drives your desire to grow and contribute.

So,  tomorrow I begin the 2012-2013 to prepare for an upcoming school year with 100+ 7th graders.    Some I got to tea h last year, and many will be new faces.  As I think about how I will teach them this year, one word keeps resonating with me.

ACCEPTANCE

Some of my students I will be able to relate to, some I will not, but all of them need to know that I choose to appreciate them for who they are, and where they are in their life.  As I meditate, pray, and wish for each of my students to succeed, I want to keep this theme of acceptance in the forefront.

1 comment:

  1. I like your word. I'll have to think of one for our school year. Unfortunately simplicity will not fit as our lives are about to get realy really complicated as weekly schedules are all over the place. How about THRIVE?

    ReplyDelete