But, (and this is a big one) after five years I am growing weary of being the silent (OK not very silent) by stander in a culture so juxtaposed to my own self. I still feel like a guest in a foreign land because I don't fit the main stream. If it was just me as an adult, I don't think I would be as upset as I am right now. Unfortunately, the culture is encroaching into dangerous territory with my children, and my Mama Bear hackles are up.
For the most part I find that we drift for the mainstream on five major fronts:
- Religion: We have a different set of beliefs and as a result we are forced to sit silently and be proselytized to on a regular basis.
- Politics: We can't even have a discussion here about it.
- Environment: We are environmentalist and outdoor enthusiast. We find such solace in the natural unaltered systems of our world and recognize that we must be stewards of the land. This includes avoiding dirty money from guilty corporations.
- Sports: Even my father will be disappointed with me for this one: I could care less about football or any other sport for that matter. This is almost worse than not fitting in with #1 and #2. Last year the boys were told they had to wear a shirt supporting their favorite football team or they could not attend a school wide assembly. When I communicated to the teacher we didn't own any, I felt like an alien in a strange land. Outside again.
- Food: And this is where I am lost. John and I eat real food. You know, the stuff that grows from the ground, and comes from animals that have been raised humanely with a small ecological foot print. If we can't grow (or picture it growing) we don't eat it. If we can't pronounce it we don't eat it. Here the culture of food, and quite frankly toxic food like substances is maddening. People here it junk and a lot of it. They do not use it just for nourishment and growth, but for rewards, punishment, to show love, to make someone feel welcomed, for comfort, and as a toy (more on this soon.)
An important bit of background to my upcoming rant: Isaac is 5 1/2 and has PTSD. He has three triggers that we know of: Food being used in a way other than substance, being left in wet clothes and physical restraint. I have no idea how to explain PTSD to the average person in a way that they can "get" how terrifying it is for both Isaac and those around once he is triggered. When he goes into a rage or flashback, I almost have to treat it like a child with a seizure and the scaring and physical angst it causes him is similar to the trauma of anafalaxis shock. IT IS NOT JUST A TEMPER TANTRUM. It is not that he is sad. And, the more times he is triggered the worse the episodes seem to be. As a result we are being very proactive to prevent triggers, especially in his new school environment.
I have explained all of this in writing, in person, through meetings, through special education teachers. Then last week I get an e-mail. "We are planning on doing a two week math unit at the beginning of the year using cookies, oreos, Hershey kisses and skittles. Is this OK for your boys?" Um NO. I then reiterate that food is not a toy to Isaac and very little learning will take place for him if food is the manipulative. I also mentioned that if Isaac's PTSD is triggered he can become extremely violent or extremely dissociative. Then I get asked if I can send something homemade that is like oreos for the whole class. Yes, I can do that, but I am not feeling heard on the main issue.
I am starting to feel like I did when I took the boys to get their blue cards for school. I knew that restrain or witnessing restraint would be a trigger for Isaac. I explained it to the doctor. I was mocked. I removed Isaac from the room, he was brought back in. I asked for help from a nurse, I was told no. And then, I did a very bad thing for my son, nothing. I let him be in the room and he had the worst PTSD episode to date. I know that the teacher using food as a toy will build distrust, increase anxiety and potentially lead to a very bad situation, and I am not being heard.
I went a step further and e-mailed Isaac's special ed teacher. I was then told that "the problem is this, teacher use small edibles for counting and comparing." Here we go again. What about beads, unifix cubes, checkers pieces, cards.... Why does it have to be food?
I am upset now, and I need to figure out what my end goal is. One, I want my child to have a health relationship with food. Two, I want to avoid at all cost a major incident at school while he is getting adjusted to his new setting. If trust is lost, it will be hard to get back. Three, I want to be heard and understood as a parent. I feel that if he was deathly allergic to nuts, there would be no discussion. They would not be there. But, because it is a psychological issue I am being ignored as the over reactive helicopter parent. I really am not. How many times has someone come to them with such an issue? Wouldn't you think after coming back and saying something 5 times I might know what I am talking about.
Oh the struggle against a toxic cultural norm in a place where starvation is overshaddowed by issues with obesity.
I am a teacher and I share your concern about food being used for anything other than healthy nutrition. When I started teaching first grade the other teacher used goldfish crackers and pinto beans for math. I did not feel comfortable with this. My reason has to do with the wastefulness of using food this way. I think that you should insist that your child's needs are met. Like you said, if he had a peanut allergy this would not even be an issue. How is his teacher going to build a trusting relationship with him if she cannot even understand this?
ReplyDeleteGood for you going to bat for your son! You know best and don't forget it. But here is an alternate viewpoint as well: the job of a parent is to teach their kids their values and teach them to use those values to make good choices. So this may be an opportunity to try to figure out how both boys can start to navigate the culture so opposed to your own (we can SO relate!) and retain their self-confidence. Also - an idea, since food is (and probably will be) used as a teaching tool, can you try an alternative way for example, giving Isaac a baggie of his own treats to eat while they do the experiment(s)? BTW, Irina has similar water issues as I think she spent a lot of time dehydrated as a baby.
ReplyDelete