Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Should he stay or should he go???






I am in an extremely uncomfortable position right now of having to make the decision to keep or not keep our new puppy. In April Emerson and I basically bullied John into getting a wimeramer puppy from my mom's neighbors. The puppy was so little, so cute and I desperately wanted something cute and cuddly to love. Now I am not as naive as that last sentence might make me appear. I had a big dog for 12 years, and she was my buddy, my companion and even the ring bearer at our wedding. And, she was like our child. We also lived in Oregon where everyone has a dog, and everyone’s dogs are welcomed everywhere. When we wanted to go out of town she had options of where to stay, when our friends went out of town, of course their dogs came over for a play date.
But, and this is a big but, we don't live in rural Easter Oregon anymore. We live in the Southern Suburbia land, with few to no real friends, two very needy children, a business, a full time teaching job, a chicken, gardens and now a very needy puppy. Unfortunately the last three weeks John has started almost every conversation with me about how much he does not want to be raising a puppy. To give him credit, he has said that since before we got the dog. For some reason I really thought he would come around, and the two have had their moments. But apparently not enough of them. John has never had a puppy, or really a newborn anything, and he is not copping well. When John is miserable all of us are.
Granted the boys love the idea of having a dog, but in reality they are afraid of him. For good reason. He is big, he bites, he jumps and he plays rough. They want to love him, but his love hurts them and thus they are afraid. How do I explain to our two adopted sons that we are now going to have to be on the other end of adoption with their dog? Ugg that conversation is going to stink!

Then there is the squabbling in our house. The boys are in a stage (I have been warned it is a long one) where they fight about everything. The constantly change their position just to be disagreeing with the other one. It literally makes me think that sticking a fork in my eye would be more fun that playing referee between the two of them. Plus, John is now constantly on my case about the dog, about the cleanliness of the house, about what the boys are eating, how much screen time they are getting and on and on and on. Add to all of this, the fact that Finn (the puppy) thinks he should get to eat our one remaining chicken. The chicken is very clear about how she feels about this. John and I must walk around separating the two of them while telling Finn, "No, that is my chicken!"
Just the other day as I was making breakfast and the chicken ran right through the kitchen (yes inside) with Finn chasing her, and then the two boys started chasing the dog that was chasing the chicken. At some point something has got to give.
I too love the idea of having a dog, but not at the expense of the tiny little bit of sanity I have left. I know this is one of those lose lose situations. If we give the dog up, the boys will be very upset and I will feel like a total failure, if we keep the dog, John will be totally upset, all personal items will need to be defended and until we teach Finn not to jump and bite, the boys will remain afraid of him.



3 comments:

  1. I can feel your pain and know what a tough decision it is. Could you involve the boys by asking them if THEY want to keep the dog. Maybe don't use the adoption word. Sometimes our pets just disappeared at our house, and found out later they went to live on a big farm somewhere else. (my dad hated cats, so it was only my cats - not his beloved dog/s) I know it's not the same, but I survived.
    Miss you and so looking forward to seeing you and all the boys this weekend. Unfortunately the party this weekend is no dogs allowed. :( think of it as a mini-vacation. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karon,

    I agree puppies are very difficult at times, but if you were to rehome Finn and maybe get an older, more settled dog (say one that is 5+), then I wonder how it would affect the boys.

    Can you enroll Finn in training classes, and maybe get the boys to help in the class?

    As for biting. When we had Kizzy and she was little, if she bit, we 'nipped' her with a finger and thumb bc it mimicks what the Mum dog does. And at the same time, we said 'Ow' very loudly, even if it did not hurt.

    With my Mum's 6-8 month old rescue pup Mazie, we've needed to be a bit more forceful, and again, mimicking the behaviour of an adult dog, we've 'scruffed' her and held her to the floor til she relaxes.....sounds horrible, but this is exactly what my 12 year old dog does to Mazie, and she now knows that she is not 'in charge'...

    If you do want to rehome Finn, he should be very easy to rehome given his age. And if you wanted an older dog instead, maybe you could involve the boys in choosing 'who' to adopt, and act like you were fostering Finn.

    I wish you luck.

    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where in Southern Suburbia Land do you live? I'm in Birmingham and I have two good friends there lobbying me on your pup because I have a soon-to-be 12-year-old Weim I love. He is in good shape presently but will soon decline, to my sadness -- he was my mom's dog and I took him in when she died last year. I really feel for your little fellow, but I'm in a dilemma for several reasons, including I'm leaving the country for a month next week. morrisammjr@aol.com 205 837-9308

    ReplyDelete