Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

So I must say this has been a rather weird father's day. It started off well and ended well but the middle was weird. For John, I made him his yearly scrap book through shutter fly like I always do. The pictures are at http://doubledecker.shutterfly.com

I was crafty yesterday and had the boys make him cards with paint and all. For those who know me well, you know that I have no problem having 15 different science experiments going on in my room, but arts and crafts make me twitch. None the less I put on my big girl pants and had the boys make cards for John and my dad.

This morning we got up and John loved the cards and book. We then headed downtown to meet up with my mom and dad and my brother's family for breakfast. We got there at 8:00 we were seated shortly there after. The waitress borough coffee and juice right away. Unfortunately 45 min. later there was still no food. Fortunately I fed my family first breakfast, so while the boys were bonkers they were not starving.

Then the weirdness started. My mom announces that my dad is not feeling well. I look over and he is resting his head against the table and mom has a cold rag on his neck. I go over and ask him a few questions only to find out he has had a big glass of coffee and OJ this morning but no food. He is pasty and shaky. I go to the host and ask for a piece of toast. When I come back my father is no longer responsive, my mother is crying and saying "Manuel talk to me, please talk to me." John calls 911, I take Dad's pulse, it is regular but weak. I know he suffers from low blood pressure, but we can not get him in a laying position now that he is unconscious and we are in a crowded restaurant.

While this is all going on one of my nieces is crying, my boys are being reasonably good, but my brother has turned three shades of green and has become cool, clammy and shakey. I let his wife help him, only to find Dad now looking strait at me and mom but audibly snoring, his eyes rolled back in his head and now I can't find a pulse. John assures me the ambulance is on the way.

My brother is not looking good and now Mom is even more worried (mind you my mother has a torn rotater cuff that she will be having surgery on in the next few days. She is in no position to deal with all of this at the same time.) He also had a huge Starbucks coffee on an empty stomach, then had the panic surge of seeing our 84 year old father in such a state.

Dad then opens his eyes and starts to come to. He speaks but his words are all slurred, I fear a stroke. The paramedics show up, and now 1hour and 15 min. later so does our food.

Then Dad snaps out of it, he wants to eat, he wants fresh air, his blood pressure is low (this has happened before but not for 2 years)his blood sugar was low. Fortunately it was not a stroke, his heart is good. My brother is also coming back to life as he gets some food and an awkward breakfast ensues.

I am not sure how to take all of this. It was too close for me. Mind you my father has lived an amazing life, he has done what he wants to do. He swims every other day and plays golf every other day. He avidly reads, goes to classes at the local university and is an active participant in his book club. He has raised 6 kids and now has 15 grand kids. All of this said, I selfishly was terrified today of loosing him this father's day. I am sure I was not the only one and I sure hope that we can have a do over next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment